Barry Hall says he's studied Sonny Bill Williams and knows he has what it takes to topple the undefeated code-hopping superstar when they rumble later this year.

The former Swans and Bulldogs star has spoken out after it was revealed on Sunday that Williams has agreed to make his return to boxing against Hall in Sydney this year - at the end of the 2020 NRL season.

Williams has agreed to terms on a short-term deal to return to the Roosters in coming weeks - but he's already eyeing off his next move before his eventual return to play with the Toronto Wolfpack in the English Super League.

According to The Age, Williams' manager Khoder Nasser and Hall's representative Danny Green have reached an agreement for the fight to take place this year.

Advertisement

According to reports following Hall's draw with Paul Gallen in the much-hyped Code War brawl last year, both Williams and Hall would be looking at paydays of more than $2 million each if the fight eventuates.

Now Hall has taken the first step forwards by declaring he "has what it takes" to end Williams' run of seven straight victories in the ring.

"I've got nothing but respect for him. But, in saying that, I think I've got the tools to knock him over," Hall told The Age.

"It's a great fight, a lot of people will be interested in it. Hopefully, people have seen with me and Gal (Paul Gallen) that I can move around a little bit and it will be a competitive fight.

"Hopefully it comes off, it will be great. I would be honoured to do it.

"We watched his last fight, he's good for someone who hasn't boxed that much.

"He's obviously a great talent and great athlete. He's got hitting power and he's fit, that's half the battle for a heavyweight.

"He's got a lot of tools. In saying that, I watched the fight and thought 'Yep, OK, I've got what it takes.

Advertisement

"We'll soon see."

Sonny Bill Williams ahead of his fight with Stu Laundy in 2018. Photo / Photosport
Sonny Bill Williams ahead of his fight with Stu Laundy in 2018. Photo / Photosport

Aussie boxing legend Green revealed earlier this week the fight could take place at Bankwest Stadium in western Sydney, assuming the number of active coronavirus cases in NSW will allow crowds to attend sporting events towards the end of the year.

Hall hasn't fought since his draw with Gallen in November, but Williams hasn't had a sanctioned fight since his 2015 unanimous decision win over Chancey Welliver in Sydney.

Williams fought Bachelorette winner Stu Laundy in a charity event in 2018 - but the fight was not recognised as a professional, sanctioned bout.

Gallen admitted in April he was likely to never get his dream fight with Williams.

The former NSW State of Origin captain last week delivered a scathing assessment of Williams and his return to the NRL at the age of 35.

Advertisement

"He hasn't played in the game since 2014," Gallen said on WWOS Radio. "It's not the same Sonny Bill Williams we all remember.

"To think he's going to come back to the NRL and be the player that he was in 2013 (2014), you're dreaming."