Israel Folau's scathing criticism of Rugby Australia's code of conduct hearing process has overshadowed a telling revelation made in the same statement.
Folau wants to play on. This is not the end.
The 30-year-old superstar, the greatest try scorer Super Rugby has ever known, on Monday let his 72-hour appeal window close without contacting Rugby Australia — prompting the governing body to announce it is proceeding with its intent to terminate Folau's contract.
The Waratahs fullback was found guilty of a high level code of conduct breach by a three-man panel, which ruled Folau's contract should be terminated for his Instagram post last month which quoted a passage from the bible claiming hell awaits "drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters".
In response to Rugby Australia's statement, Folau released his own on Monday afternoon where he revealed he intends to keep playing rugby, despite his termination barring him from ever playing for the Wallabies again.
It was only on Sunday that reports claimed Folau had grown tired of the demands of professional sport after more than 14 years in elite sport.
Speaking on Channel 9's Sport Sunday, Sydney Morning Herald chief sports writer Andrew Webster said Wallabies staff believed Folau was looking for a way out of his career as a professional athlete.
"People within the Wallabies set-up are certain that a lot of this is driven by the fact that he's just had enough," Webster said.
"He's been playing professional sport (from) the age of 17, when he debuted for the Melbourne Storm. He's played three different codes, and they seem to think that the way that he has acted and the way that he was just such a renegade with this last social media post after what happened exactly a year ago, suggests to them in the Wallabies set-up that he just doesn't want to play professional sport any more. It's also his beliefs; he's dug in for that."
Folau's statement is in direct contrast.
"My decision not to commence Rugby Australia's appeal process is in no way an acceptance of the judicial panel's findings," said Folau in a statement.
"I simply do not have confidence in Rugby Australia's ability to treat me fairly or lawfully throughout this process.
"The messages of support from fans, players, former rugby administrators and the public have been humbling.
"I believe I still have a lot of rugby left in me and the potential impact of Rugby Australia's decision on my reputation and my career is substantial.
"Ultimately, I need to do what is best for my family, my teammates and the fans, so I am considering all potential avenues open to me."
Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter Beattie has already said Israel Folau wouldn't be welcome in the NRL.
According to reports, Folau also doesn't want to move overseas because of his wife's netballing career with the Adelaide Thunderbirds.
Reports out of the UK also suggest English rugby clubs are reluctant to sign Folau.
RA refused to comment on Folau's statement when contacted by reporters on Monday.
It has been widely speculated that Folau would take the case to the Supreme Court, as first reported by The Daily Telegraph.
Folau's termination came after he had been warned against making such posts before signing his new contract last year. He'd previously posted that hell awaited homosexuals unless they repented.
Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle said at the time the decision would have ramifications across the sporting world.
"This is a decision that will change the landscape for sport across Australia and perhaps internationally," she said.
"It will be landmark, it will be important, and it is a big decision. "He is a very important player in our game and he has been for a long period of time and we wanted to make sure we took the time to get it right."