UFC star Conor McGregor has left a Miami Beach jail after being arrested and charged with multiple offences by police in Florida.

The Miami Herald first reported McGregor was taken into police custody over an incident with a fan at the end of a night out.

Miami Beach Police Department has since confirmed McGregor was charged with strongarmed robbery and criminal mischief. The Irishman, 30, was held on $12,500 bail but was later released.

According to the police report of the incident, it is alleged McGregor smashed 22-year-old Englishman Ahmed Abdirzak's phone when he attempted to take a photograph of the former lightweight champion as he was leaving a nightclub at 5am local time.

Advertisement

The report claims McGregor slapped the man's phone from his hands and then proceeded to stomp on it several times. He is then accused of picking up the phone and walking away with it.

The police report claims the alleged incident was caught on surveillance footage which allegedly shows McGregor leaving the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel and walking back to his resort.

Investigators claim police later found McGregor at his local address before he was taken into custody and transported to the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center in Miami-Dade County at 5.56pm local time.

WHAT MCGREGOR'S LAWYER SAID

A lawyer for McGregor called the altercation "minor" and said the popular fighter would cooperate with authorities.

"Last evening Conor McGregor was involved in a minor altercation involving a cellphone that resulted in a call to law enforcement," Samuel J. Rabin Jr., a Miami-based attorney representing McGregor, said in a statement. "Mr. McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation."

McGregor released a video and a series of photos of himself and his family celebrating his mother's 60th birthday last week while holidaying in Florida.

McGregor has not fought in the UFC since his infamous fight with rival Khabib Nurmagomedov in Las Vegas in October where the Irish star was forced to tap out from a choke hold.

He was suspended from the UFC for six months and fined $50,000 for a brawl after the defeat.

The 30-year-old last year avoided a prison sentence when he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of disorderly conduct at Brooklyn Criminal Court.

The charge related to his infamous bus attack, which left several rival UFC fighters with minor injuries.

"The Notorious" had been charged with multiple counts of assault and criminal mischief after attacking the bus at the Barclays Centre in April and only recently completed 25 hours of community service at two Brooklyn churches.

INCIDENT CAME DAYS AFTER COMMUNITY SERVICE

McGregor found it "humbling" to do manual labour that didn't involve throwing a jab, said Pastor Clive Neil at the Bedford Central Church, where the pugilist applied the elbow grease from Monday through Friday last week from 11am to 4pm.

"He kept on using that word — 'humbling,' " the pastor said Sunday. "He was doing physical work — vacuuming, mopping, moving boxes, moving supplies, putting out the garbage and so forth.

"He was quite patient in rubbing down the brass, polishing with spray and a cloth. He has enough strength in his muscles to do that."

The Dublin-born brawler brought an entourage of "six or seven people,'' including a couple of "big" bodyguards who kept an eye on him, but "did not help him with any of the work," Neil said.

McGregor told the pastor that he was a Catholic and "felt good that we were accommodating him," the Protestant preacher said.