A second Northern League football match in four days in Auckland has been abandoned following alleged racial and physical abuse by a fan toward an opposition player.

Saturday afternoon's Division One match at Becroft Park between Forrest Hill Milford United and North Shore United was called off by the referee.

North Shore United released a statement on Twitter saying the match was abandoned because of physical and racial abuse from a fan.

"Our match yesterday was abandoned due to an encroachment from a fan who physically and racially abused a Shore player," the statement said. "There is no place for this kind of disgusting behaviour in any part of life."


The club declined to comment further when approached by the Herald.

The incident is understood to have occurred when a North Shore United player was sent off, with allegations of abuse and a punch thrown by a spectator.

The Auckland Football Federation are investigating the incident.

It's not the first incident of the week, with a premier league match turning ugly after a brawl erupted between spectators and players on the side of the pitch.

A match between Manukau United and Three Kings United at McLennan Park in the Northern Region Football League was abandoned on Wednesday night with six minutes to go. Police were called to the incident at McLennan Park following a report of the altercation at around 9.15pm.

Three Kings player Fabrizio Tavano was left injured and bloodied after the altercation.

A police spokesperson said police spoke with some of those involved at the scene as well as the managers and coaches of the teams involved.

"No arrests were made and no further action is being taken."


Manukau were leading 3-2 when Tavano was sent off after an on-field scuffle with 10 minutes to go in the match.

The scuffle started when Manukau striker Sanni Issa was fouled by a Three Kings player which led to a push and shove between players from both teams.

A representative from Manukau United told the Herald Tavano came running in to get involved in the melee, which resulted in a number of players being booked.

Tavano was shown a straight red card for hitting Issa, who was then pulled away by a substitute in the aftermath, while Manukau's Prince Quansah was shown a second yellow card for his part in the boilover.

The walk from the pitch to the changing rooms at McLennan Park is up a steep hill, and spectator footage showed Quansah offering a helping hand to an elderly man believed to be a relative of Tavano's.

His offer was brushed away, and statements collected by spectators said Tavano responded by throwing a bottle at Quansah. The bottle missed, and instead hit spectators which ignited the brawl, Manukau United's representative said.

"It's a disgrace this sort of thing has happened."

NRFL competitions manager Terry Hobin attended the match and said it had to be abandoned due to safety concerns.

"Both the referee and myself felt that their safety was compromised because a confrontation has broken out between the players that have been sent off and some spectators."

Auckland Football Federation are also investigating that clash, via the disciplinary process for the competition.