The Central Pulse are finally champions.

The Wellington-based side toppled the Mainland Tactix 61-56 in the Super Club netball grand final to claim their first title at Nelson's Trafalgar Centre.

After a disappointing one goal loss to the New South Wales Institute of Sport (NSWIS) on Tuesday night, the Pulse had to win their remaining pool games including a highly-anticipated semifinal against the Southern Steel.

However, even the ANZ Premiership champions didn't test the Central side as much as the firing Tactix did.


Taking an early and promising lead, the Mainlanders' solid defensive unit shut down ball to Pulse shooters Aliyah Dunn and Ameliaranne Ekenasio.

With the Tactix's lead secured by a buzzer-beater two-point goal by Kate Beveridge, the Pulse were forced to make some positional changes in a bid to stay in the match.

With fresh combinations to work with, the Pulse briefly fell further behind in the second quarter, but as things shifted into gear for the Central side the tables slowly turned.

Silver Fern Whitney Souness led the Pulse midcourt while Sulu Fitzpatrick anchored the defensive end. With things moving smoothly, the Wellington side kept themselves ahead through to the final quarter.

With the Tactix hot on their heels, the Pulse stepped up in the final minutes, desperate to pull ahead. And although the Southerners teased a comeback with a couple of last minute two-point goals, it wasn't enough to close the gap as the Pulse held their ground to take the win.

Earlier in the evening, the Southern Steel claimed redemption over NSWIS to finish third.

The Southern side were robbed of their chances to defend the Super Club title after being defeated by the Pulse in last night's semifinals. But determined to finish on a high, the Steel were too good the Australian side, winning 54-45.

Silver Fern Gina Crampton was in sublime form as she led the Steel midcourt with shooter Jen O'Connell solid in the circle.


Australian shooter Kelly Singleton's efforts under the hoop saw the NSWIS make back some lost ground, but with few bold positional changes, the Steel took to the court firing in the final quarter of the trans-Tasman clash as they widened their lead on the scoreboard to take the win.

Meanwhile, Singapore's Sneakers kept themselves from a last place finish after claiming a surprise win over the Gauteng Jaguars 60-57.

In the other consolation match of the evening, the UWS Sirens beat Marama Vou 66-57 to finish fifth.

Final results:

1st – Central Pulse
2nd – Mainland Tactix
3rd – Southern Steel
4th - New South Wales Institute of Sport
5th - UWS Sirens
6th - Marama Vou
7th - Sneakers
8th - Gauteng Jaguars