Pulse 71
Steel 40

The Central Pulse claimed their fifth straight win of the ANZ Premiership season smashing the Southern Steel 71-40 at Porirua's Te Rauparaha Arena.

Playing in front of their home crowd, the Pulse decisively extended their unbeaten record-run claiming their second victory over the defending champions.

Beaming with confidence as they sought to lift their so-far impressive standards, the Pulse made it look all too easy with perfectly paired combinations and fast-paced play that proved unstoppable.


And once again at the centre of the Pulse's success was young super shooter Aliyah Dunn, who showed strength in the circle sinking an incredible 19 goals in the opening quarter alone, while smashing her ANZ Premiership record with a total of 50 goals.

In perhaps the strongest start from a team in ANZ Premiership history, the Pulse were fast off the blocks, overrunning the Steel with a staggering 21 point lead after the opening quarters.

The Pulse defence line proved relentless as the combination between Sulu Fitzpatrick and Silver Ferns captain Katrina Grant caused an array of problems for Steel attackers.

The pressure from Fitzpatrick took quick effect on the usually accurate Steel goal shoot Jennifer O'Connell, leaving the young shooter hesitant under the hoop.

Meanwhile, Grant - who is leading the league for intercepts - was tough with her defence against fellow Silver Fern and Steel shooter Te Paea Selby-Rickit.

Baffled at how quickly her side was falling out of the match, Steel coach Reinga Bloxham made early changes to her line up, replacing O'Connell with Oliva Bates while moving Selby-Rickit into goal shoot.

But the desperate changes weren't enough to turn the game around for the Steel as the Pulse continued to extend their hefty lead with ease.

Steel captain Wendy Frew, who couldn't quite edge her way to a full 60 minutes on the court since returning from an injury, struggled to keep up with in-form Pulse wing Whitney Souness.


Souness and fellow Pulse midcourter Claire Kersten were in unison with the movement of Dunn in the circle as they fed the ball effortlessly to their shooter.

Grinding away in the final quarter, the Steel pushed to close the gap on the scoreboard, but it seemed even they knew there was no hope left for a comeback.

Meanwhile, the Pulse continued to build, closing the match with the biggest winning margin of the season.

Both sides will have only four days to rest before tipping off round five of the Premiership on Sunday afternoon.

The Steel will face the Northern Stars in Invercargill, followed by the Pulse against the Northern Mystics at Auckland's Trusts Arena.

The round five clash will see another vital opportunity for the Steel to move up the ladder and for the Pulse to potentially extend their so-far unstoppable lead.