The Warriors streak is over.

It was amazing while it lasted, but never really looked like being extended on Saturday, as the Warriors fell to a 27-18 loss to the Broncos.

The home side were second best all night to an ultra-professional Brisbane outfit, who completely dominated through the forwards and defended like demons.

Wayne Bennett's side were desperate for a victory – after two consecutive defeats – and it showed.


Jack Bird was impressive as a stand in five eighth and across the field their runners constantly created problems for the Warriors.

The home side lacked accuracy and ideas in attack, and commitment in the tackle, in easily their worst defensive display of the season.

Issac Luke was effectively shut down from dummy half, while Blake Green and Shaun Johnson both had quiet nights.

For whatever reason, the Warriors looked a little flat to start the match. It was evident in the Broncos opening set, when they marched almost 70 metres. The defensive line speed was down for the home side, as well as the starch in their tackles.

Maybe, despite the best efforts of the coaching staff, some complacency had crept in, after the extraordinary 5-0 start to the season. The Broncos looked on from the start, while the Warriors were slightly off.

That feeling intensified when Corey Oates brushed through three ineffective arm grabs to score from 30 metres out in the fourth minute. The big winger was a handful all game, and the Warriors never quite got to grips with him.

The home side replied – through a perfect Shaun Johnson cut out ball that found David Fusitua – and briefly took the lead after the halfback slotted a penalty goal. But the fact that the team went for the posts – after a strong attacking set – showed where the mindset was at. They knew they were in for a dog fight, and didn't want to take any chances.

The visitors regained the lead in the 21st minute, after a James Roberts break, again through hesitant tackles, sent winger Jamayne Isaako over.


Blake Green – who had been targeted by the Broncos – regathered his own grubber after it bounced off the goal posts to tie up the scores in the 34th minute – but the feeling remained the Warriors were doing things the hard way.

The second half was, unfortunately for the 15,636 crowd, more of the same. The Broncos were superb in possession, marching down field like a Sherman tank and completing dominating the ruck.

The Warriors couldn't match them, and were often guilty of going too lateral, too early. Instead of building pressure, they relied on off the cuff play, and it was never going to work against a committed Broncos outfit.

Mistakes also crept in, at a rate not seen in recent weeks. David Fusitua (twice), Peta Hiku and Anthony Gelling shelled simple passes.

Jaydn Sua extended the Broncos lead after a barnstorming run from Joe Ofahengaue just after the break, before Issako's second try in the 62nd minute , with a tip toe run down the sideline, sealed the win for the Queensland side.

Tohu Harris created space for Johnson to scoot over with 10 minutes left, but it was only ever going to be a consolation.

Warriors 18 (D Fusitua, B Green, S Johnson tries; S Johnson 3 goals)
Broncos 27 (C Oates, J Isaako 2, J Sua tries; Issako 5 goals, A Milford field goal)