Canadian tennis star Eugenie Bouchard will be paid in damages and lost earnings by the United States Tennis Association after suing them for negligence.
Bouchard suffered a fall in the trainer's room of the 2015 US Open, and as a result was unable to complete a match - withdrawing prior to the first round getting underway.
The Canadian slipped on a cleaning substance that had been applied to the room's tile floor and she sustained a concussion. The incident happened in August, and she did not complete a full match for the rest of the 2015 season.
The New York Times reported a jury took less than an hour of deliberating before ruling in favour of Bouchard. However, the jury ruled Bouchard to be responsible for 25 per cent of the negligence, and the USTA will have to cover 75 per cent of the damages.
The former world No.5 was seeking damages for her physical and emotional suffering in the lawsuit, which lasted nearly two and a half years, as well as lost earnings both on and off the court.
"When you get 75 percent or better, you can't ever complain about that," Bouchard's attorney Benedict Morelli told reporters after the decision on Friday (NZ time).
The damages phase of the trial was set to begin on Saturday (NZ time) at the federal court in Brooklyn to determine how much the injury cost Bouchard. Morelli said they did not have an exact number in mind, but indicated it would be millions of dollars to recoup "all the different revenue that she lost."
To get the day's top sports stories in your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here