Auckland City will represent Oceania at the FIFA Club World Cup for a seventh consecutive year, after beating Team Wellington 2-0 in the second leg of the OFC Champions League final to complete a comprehensive 5-0 aggregate victory.

City's 3-0 win in the first leg last weekend proved decisive, allowing Ramon Tribulietx's men to safely book their tickets to the prestigious tournament in the UAE in December. It also meant they have conceded just one goal in ten and half hours of Champions League football this season.

"It's fantastic - seven in a row doesn't happen very often," said a jubilant Tribulietx after the game.

"We're very proud of that and obviously very happy."


Auckland's win in the capital was based on a sturdy defensive performance that denied Team Wellington the early goal which would have inflated their sails, before clinically closing out the tie in the second half.

Marshalled expertly by captain Angel Berlanga and shielded by former Phoenix player Albert Riera, City's defence was able to repel everything thrown at them by the home side. In possession, Auckland City largely dispensed with their traditional passing game and were far more direct in their approach.

"This is football - it doesn't matter how you play - you've just got to get a win," said Tribulietx.

"No risks at the back, because that would have been stupid and try to hit them on the counter which in the end we achieved."

City's veteran striker Emiliano Tade put the seal on a typically tireless performance, curling a brilliant second goal into the top corner with less than a quarter-hour remaining.

That followed Auckland City's opener after 63 minutes, when a long ball was misjudged by Team Wellington skipper Bill Robertson, the ball skimming off his head and into the path of substitute Ryan de Vries, who finished neatly past advancing Team Wellington goalkeeper Scott Basalaj.

That moment effectively put an end to Team Wellington's chances; at that point, they needed five goals in the final 27 minutes of the game to pull off an impossible victory.

De Vries had replaced first leg hero Joao Moreira who took two heavy head knocks late in the first half and was treated by ambulance staff at the ground.

Knowing an early goal would change the shape of the contest, Team Wellington came out with vigour and intent, with Auckland City goalkeeper Enaut Zubikarai called into action to save a Robertson header after just five minutes.

The Spanish custodian was again on hand to deny Andy Bevin at the back post midway through the first half, while at the other end, the best chance for the visitors came when Tade struck the post from a direct free-kick.

Second half chances were harder to come by for the home side, with Robertson heading over on the hour-mark. Apart from that, Zubikarai was largely untested after the break.

Team Wellington coach Jose Figueira was philosophical in defeat.

"You're playing against a team with immense quality who pounce on lapses in concentration," he said.

"That's a sign of a top team filled with top players, which Auckland are."