Team Wellington are back-to-back champions in the Stirling Sports Premiership.

In a repeat of last season's final, Team Wellington toppled Auckland City to raise the trophy, edging the minor premiers 2-1 in an absorbing clash.

A double to striker Ben Harris cancelled out a strike from Emiliano Tade as the men from the capital took the lead in the 51st minute and clung on in the second half for their second title.

It was a big turnaround from their 4-0 defeat to Auckland in their season opener, and came off the back of their remarkable semifinal victory over Waitakere United.


There, they required penalties after a stunning 120 minutes of football ended at 6-6, but today things were less chaotic, yet still tense for both sides.

Team Wellington struck early, with Ben Harris taking advantage of Auckland's poor defensive tracking to sneak in behind the defence and head home a pinpoint cross from Andy Bevin.

Bevin nearly doubled the lead with a spectacular effort from halfway which clanged off the crossbar, but it was Auckland who managed to produce something special.

Tade's equaliser was a stunning solo effort, weaving through several players before blasting a rasping low strike into the bottom corner.

As rain began to pelt down after halftime, the game continued to open up. Harris got on the end of another perfectly-flighted cross, this time from Joel Stevens, to hammer home another powerful header and put Wellington back on top.

As the second half wound down, Auckland threw players forward, opening themselves up for counter-attacks, but after several end-to-end forays, the final whistle went to secure a deserved Wellington victory.

"It was a monumental effort from the boys tonight and I couldn't be prouder," Wellington coach Jose Figueira said.

Both sides now prepare themselves for next week's 2017 OFC Champions League semifinals. Auckland are taking on Tahitian side Tefana, while Team Wellington face Magenta, from New Caledonia.

The tournament winner qualifies for the FIFA Club World Cup.​