The second day of competition at the Six Nations Bowling tournament was held at the Fendalton Bowling Club Christchurch and has provided some highs for the Blackjacks but also a couple of disappointing games that will leave some players wondering what
might have been.

Val Smith played the round one round singles match, despite a slow start she but found form mid-way through the game and held her opponent to a 19-19 draw. However she dropped a two and let the game slip away, 21-19.

Taking over the reins of the singles, Jo Edwards continued her consistent form, beating Colleen Picketh from South Africa 21-15. In the third round Jo Edwards was pitted against Australian Natasha Scott and had to fight all the way, on the 23rd end the score was tied at 19-19; and then used her get out of jail free card picking up two shots to take the game 21-19.

The men's triples skipped by Paul Girdler had a start in Round one against Wales racing out to 10 nil after seven ends. Wales fought back but New Zealand took the game 17-13.


In the Second round the men's triples had a slow start against South Africa, losing five
shots in the first three ends before they put their foot down and went on to win 11 of the next 15 ends to secure the game 17-11.

The men's pairs - Ali Forsyth and Blake Signal, blitzed Wales 27-8 but in the second round lost to South Africa 21 -10. The women's fours made changes to the personal in all three games; Jo Edwards skipped the first game of the day against Wales; the Welsh team won convincingly 26-14. The second game was a slow game and South Africa took the game on the 17th end, 14-13.

The team that played in the final woman's fours game was skipped again by Mandy Boyd with her sister Angela as lead and Kirsten Griffin as second and Val Smith in third spot. The New Zealand team got out to a good start and dominated the Kelsey Cottrell Australia team for the entire game. The score was 19-9 on the penultimate end, however the Black Jacks gained a further shot on the final end to add insult to injury for the Australians. The final score was 20-9