New Zealand will not be pursuing the first test no-ball controversy any further with the International Cricket Council after suffering an innings and 52-run defeat to Australia.

Adam Voges was bowled by a Doug Bracewell 'no-ball' on seven in the final over of the opening day of the two-test series. Umpire Richard Illingworth made the decision on a delivery later shown to be legitimate. Voges did not err again until his dismissal for 239.

Fury existed within the Black Caps camp after the team received apologies and reassurances from the ICC that there would be no repeat of the Nathan Lyon hotspot incident which jeopardised their chances of levelling November's test series at Adelaide.

Television umpire Nigel Llong, in relation to a hotspot mark from a catch off Lyon's bat, delivered the line: "There's a mark on a bat, but it could come from anywhere."

Coach Mike Hesson said they had reconciled themselves with the situation after he had discussed it with match referee Chris Broad.

"There's no doubt we were disappointed, but we moved on pretty quickly. [After the discussion] it became clear not much can be done, so you move on."

When asked whether he'd like no-ball decisions in international matches to be outsourced to the third umpire, Hesson responded: "Players, coaches and spectators want more decisions right. If we use technology to do that, decisions like that become less influential. The ICC are aware of that and will discuss it.


"The umpires are assisted in many ways and it's made the game better. You're kidding yourself if you think there is a 100 per cent proof system."

Hesson accepted Australia had dominated but, if anything, would have preferred a greener Basin Reserve pitch.

"It only seamed for two hours and that meant both sides weren't exposed in those conditions. That makes the toss more important.

"We were behind from the start and struggled to get back in. We were outplayed throughout."

The coach laid down a challenge to his bowlers.

"We haven't exposed them [the Australians] on surfaces [all summer] because we haven't been able to move the ball. Even this test we weren't able to move it off the straight. That's something we need to work on over the coming days."

He said they would be analysing their batting struggles from both innings.

"Look at the first session wickets. They were all from good length deliveries which moved off the straight and exposed our techniques.

"That's something we have to get right because we're likely to face seam in the next test, too. We had four guys going out defending in the first hour. I don't think that's a mental error. You have to accept they put the ball in good areas and the ball seamed, so you're going to nick it. When it seams you can go a bit wider than you like [with the bat].

"[In the second innings] they were getting it to move both ways [using reverse swing] which is a challenge. Our batsmen were talking about how to combat it yesterday afternoon. You've got to think about the most challenging delivery: Is it the one attacking the stumps or going away? To be fair, in New Zealand it's rare to get reverse swing 18 overs into an innings on day three."

Hesson would not elaborate on whether changes will be considered for the second test which starts Saturday in Christchurch.

He was pleased with Henry Nicholls' debut, with the No.4 making 8 and 59 in Ross Taylor's injured absence, and Trent Boult stepping up with more sustained pace.