Gary Anderson booked his place in the semifinals of the PDC World Darts Championship despite a sleepless night before his win over James Wade.

The reigning champion admitted he had just two hours sleep before his 5-1 quarter-final victory yesterday (NZT) after being woken up by noisy New Year celebrations.

"It was a quiet one," Anderson said about his New Year celebrations. "But I was woken up about 12.10am by a few noisy ones.

"I got back to sleep again about 5.55am and was up again at eight so I've had two hours sleep and I'm absolutely goosed."


Anderson rarely needed to get out of second gear against an out-of-sorts Wade, who averaged just 88.05 and hit only two 180s.

The Flying Scotsman raced into a 3-0 lead before Wade threatened a fight back after taking the fourth set. But it was not enough for Wade to force his way back into the match as Anderson took the next two sets and finished with an average of 105.25.

"Rubbish - there is no other word to describe it," Wade said of his performance.

"I feel very embarrassed and humiliated myself. I probably could have given that game to a million county players or even a lot of pub players and they would have beaten me.

"Most of all, I have disappointed my wife and that is not what I came here to do," Wade added.

"She sacrificed a lot for me these past few months and we have all worked very hard. To play like a complete loser on stage it hurts, it really bloody hurts.

"It's just hard to accept and to digest but I have to be man enough to say: 'You were absolutely rubbish'."

Anderson faces a last-four clash this morning (NZT) with Jelle Klaasen, the man who pushed him all the way to a decider when they met in the second round 12 months ago.

Klaasen, who beat Alan Norris 5-4 yesterday, was three darts away from beating Anderson last year, but the Scot survived and went on to lift the Sid Waddell Trophy.

"Last year I could've beaten Gary but he was just a little bit better," Klaasen admitted. "I had a 170 finish to win but missed the first treble and then he went on and became the world champion. It was my own fault."

Klaasen, who beat Phil Taylor in the third round, was never in front in his win over Norris but he produced his best when it mattered late in the match. With Norris one leg away from victory in the eighth set, the Dutchman broke throw with an 11-dart leg to take the set before reeling off three in a row in the ninth set.

"In the last few years I learned to cope under pressure and now when I'm under pressure I can still produce some good darts," Klaasen said. "I always believe in myself and am happy that I could get through and happy to be in the semifinals."

In the evening session, Raymond van Barneveld kept his hopes of a sixth world title alive after coming from 3-0 down to beat Michael Smith having survived a match dart.

Barney looked dead and buried in falling three sets behind before winning 12 of the next 14 legs in a stunning turnaround to take a 4-3 lead, hitting five ton-plus checkouts on the way.

There was another twist in the tail, though, as Smith won the eighth set to force a decider before racing into a 2-0 lead, but Barney hit back with four straight legs to clinch a place in the semifinals.

In the semifinals Van Barneveld will take on Adrian Lewis, who beat Peter Wright in the final last-eight clash yesterday.

Lewis, who averaged 102.51, raced into a 3-0 lead before Wright could get going and closed out the match in the deciding leg of the seventh set by hitting double five.

- Daily Mail