The Black Sticks Women scored in the final minute to defeat Great Britain 2-1 and move through to the semi finals at the FIH World League Final in Argentina.

New Zealand dominated much of the game but were in for a tense finish after Great Britain were awarded a penalty stroke and equalised six minutes from fulltime.

With the game looking destined for a shoot-out, Olivia Merry delivered the killer blow with less than a minute on the clock courtesy of a stinging reverse shot which squeezed past the goalkeeper's chest.

The result sees the Black Sticks progress to the Sunday's semi finals with their opponent to be determined by other quarter final results later today.


Captain Anita Punt said it was a gutsy performance from her side, who showed determination to fight until the final whistle.

"Credit to the girls, we fought really hard throughout the game and I'm so proud of them all. Great Britain were after the shoot-out but we kept battling and were disciplined with our structure. I'm just really happy right now," she said.

The Black Sticks made a superb start and created plenty of opportunities in the opening quarter in what promised to be a game full of running.

Pressure on attack led to a penalty corner for New Zealand two minutes from quarter time, but the play broke down at the top of the circle.

Midway through the second period the Kiwis got onto the scoreboard when Anita Punt got hold of a deflection in the circle and rocketed home a flick into the side net.

Great Britain had the chance to equalise with a penalty corner just seconds from halftime but the shot was snuffed out by Black Sticks goalkeeper Sally Rutherford.

Six minutes from fulltime Great Britain levelled the score at 1-1 after a video referral deemed a tackle from Brooke Neal to have caused enough stick interference to award a penalty stroke.

But the Kiwis weren't done and poured the pressure on in attack which led to a chance for Olivia Merry to pull off the game winner from a tight angle.


BLACK STICKS 2: (Anita Punt, Olivia Merry)
GREAT BRITAIN 1: (Helen Richardson-Walsh)
Halftime: New Zealand 1-0