A panel will tonight decide what, if any, penalties are handed down to those involved in a mass, 40-person brawl at a schoolboy rugby match that hospitalised one 15-year-old player last month.
Auckland Rugby Union's independent disciplinary committee will hear accounts of the brawl from Otahuhu College, Tangaroa College and other relevant parties including match officials and police called in to break up the 40-person scrap on June 27.
An Otahuhu player from the under-15s grade match was knocked unconscious for 15 minutes and taken to Middlemore Hospital in a serious condition after he was reportedly hit from behind by the relative of a player from opposing Tangaroa College.
A rugby union spokeswoman said the hearing is due to start about 6pm at a confidential location and the outcome will be posted online afterwards.
The brawl was also subject to an ongoing police investigation.
A police spokeswoman said this morning that a lot of liaison work had taken place with the schools, and CCTV footage was being examined to identify those responsible.
Meanwhile, a decision is still pending over an 11-year-old Papatoetoe Rugby Football Club player who was seen to tackle and punch a referee at an Under 12s match against Marist Eastern.
His case was heard last week, but the panel reserved its decision and it is not known when it will be released.