Hurricanes coach Chris Boyd says - at this stage - that openside flanker Ardie Savea is on track to play in tomorrow night's Super Rugby final against the Highlanders in Wellington.

Savea limped from the field during the second half of the Hurricanes' 29-9 semifinal victory over the Brumbies last weekend and his fitness has been a point of concern for the side this week.

Manawatu's Callum Gibbins was bracketed next to Savea when the team was named yesterday but Boyd said the 21-year-old had made good progress in the past 24 hours.

"As of now, he is [starting]," Boyd said.


"He's got to go through some stuff tomorrow but, as of now, he's playing.

"Ardie's a good player and he's had a really good season ... It's good news for us."

The Highlanders arrived to rain and cold conditions in the capital this evening but the weather forecast is better for tomorrow.

Highlanders coach Jamie Joseph said his players would have no issue lifting for the final despite a busy playoff schedule, which has included wins over the Chiefs and the Waratahs.

"They're ready to go," Joseph said.

"I think those two games have been good preparation for us because they've been tough and we've managed to get through them without any serious injuries and we've just recovered during the week and got things right."

Joseph named six forwards on his bench with only two backs and he said that was a two-part plan.

"There's impact that they can offer, I guess, and then there's really players in our backline that we were reluctant to take off as well."

Highlanders No 8 and co-captain Nasi Manu looked like the walking wound with a black eye and a finger in a splint but he expected to soldier on tomorrow.

"I've had worse, so it's not too bad," he said. "It's definitely one of my biggest games. I'm just pretty stoked that the boys have performed well during the year to get us in to this position."

Hurricanes skipper Conrad Smith said it had been an intense build-up during the week and a sold-out Westpac Stadium would greet the teams tomorrow.

"I'm enjoying it but I'm pretty nervous and excited at the same time," he said. "So I'm keen to get on with the game."

Both captains were at the Cake Tin for a photo opportunity with the trophy tonight but only one will get their hands on it when the final whistle goes tomorrow.