Mark Hunt will return to Sydney for a week of rest before heading back to Auckland for more training as he awaits word on whether he will have a quick turnaround to fight across the Tasman in November.
The Kiwi heavyweight knocked out Roy Nelson in the second round of their UFC Fight Night 52 headliner at the Saitama Super Arena in Japan on Saturday night as Hunt reminded everybody of the power in his fists.
Hunt (10-8-1) said he wants a bout at UFC Fight Night 55 in his adopted hometown of Sydney on November 8, although he may struggle to find a credible opponent.
Most of the top-10 heavyweights are booked for fights in the next few months, which means the sixth-ranked Hunt may have to take on somebody with less profile.
No 5 Josh Barnett and No 7 Andrei Arlovski are both potential opponents but Barnett hasn't fought in nearly 10 months, while there are fears Arlovski may have a wrist injury following his impressive knockout win over Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva in Brazil last week.
"I can get straight back into it and I'm trying to see if I can worm my way on to the Sydney card," Hunt told the Herald from Japan.
"I've got six weeks, so I've got a week at home then I'll be back to New Zealand straight into camp just trying to jump on that card.
"I don't know if they'll let me do it but we'll see what happens. I'm pretty sure I'll be fighting again pretty soon."
As of last night, Hunt hadn't heard from any UFC officials about a potential match-up.
UFC Fight Night 55 will be headlined by middleweight contenders Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold who have been embroiled in a vicious war of words during the past few months. Given Hunt's considerable drawing power, the UFC may not want to put him in a bout that wouldn't be a main event but having his name attached to the Sydney card would help sell tickets.
His long-term goal remains a title shot and taking a fight against a low-level opponent would do little to boost that case, even if he put someone away in quick fashion.
"I'd fight a wooden chair if they let me, but I don't know," he said.
"I'm only interested in going towards that title shot. I'm not interested in anything else but I have no idea what's going to happen."
Heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez will defend his belt against No1 contender Fabricio Werdum at UFC 180 in November.
Hunt also hosed down rumours that he had to drop 8kg the night before the weigh-ins in Japan to get under the UFC's 120.6kg limit for heavyweights.
He said he was 9kg above where he needed to be two days before the weigh-ins, which are held 24 hours before the fight, and although it was tough, he made it.
Auckland featherweight Dan Hooker (11-5) opened the show in Japan as he lost a unanimous decision to Venezuelan Maximo Blanco in an entertaining slugfest.