Melbourne are showing all the right signs as they build towards the NRL finals according to coach Craig Bellamy.

After he judged last week's two-point loss to Canterbury as their "best defensive effort of the season", the Storm coach was satisfied by the six-try romp in a 28-14 win over Canberra.

The Raiders fought back to trail 14-10 at halftime at AAMI Park but a double to bustling Melbourne centre Mahe Fonua helped the home side close out the match.

Canberra, who were gunning for their fourth successive win in Melbourne, were let down by a high error count which killed many of their attacking opportunities.


"I was pretty happy with the performance although I thought at times we had a good hold on the game but overplayed our hand," Bellamy said.

"I thought there was some really good signs for us.

"We created plenty of chances ... we just need to keep our nose to the grindstone."

The Storm went into the match in eighth spot on the ladder and started well, with Kevin Proctor scoring in the fourth minute. It was 10-0 when prop Jordan McLean charged onto a Cameron Smith pass.

Smith wore a No 16 jersey as part of the Rise for Alex fundraising round, with the number worn by Alex McKinnon retired for the season by Newcastle. McKinnon was left in a wheelchair after a tackle by McLean at the same ground in round three.

The Raiders were able to get on the board when skipper Terry Campese fired a superb pass out to winger Sami Sauiluma who dived across in the corner.

Melbourne's Tohu Harris was then penalised on the last tackle for holding down a Raiders player, despite assistant referee Chris Butler calling "milking", which was overruled by Shayne Hayne.

The Raiders then scored through Anthony Milford in that set, which further infuriated Bellamy.

"That's a tough call," he said. "I know he's the chief referee and he has to make the decision but, if he's not going to listen to his lieutenant, why have we got the lieutenant there?"

He was backed by his captain, Cameron Smith, who said if they were going to use two referees, they should be of equal standing. Smith felt his team often had the more senior referee on their watch, who was more likely to blow penalties.

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart said his side did well to stay in the match for as long as they did on the back of a scrappy performance.

"In the second half, they got away to two cheap tries off our errors and we made it too tough on ourselves," Stuart said.

"We're not good enough to give a footy team like that those easy tries."