Auckland Rugby boss Andy Dalton last night rubbished a report that unwanted All Black first five-eighths Stephen Donald had agreed to join the Blues for next year's Super 15.

The Sunday newspaper report stated Donald would head north from the Chiefs to join the Blues, who have lost their two No 10 options, Stephen Brett and Luke McAlister for next season.

Dalton broke the Blues' usual policy on transfers and spoke out because the report was "so far off the mark".

The report said 27-year-old Donald, a Chief throughout his Super rugby career, had been unable to secure a deal with English club Bath as he could not get a work permit.

When he missed out on the initial All Black World Cup training squad of 25 last month, Donald, who has 22 test caps, looked elsewhere.

"It's a surprise to me. Pat [Blues coach Lam] and I had a chat today and it's a surprise to him too," Dalton said.

"There's a strong protocol we follow in the organisation before we contract anybody. There's a number of directors who get involved, but the disappointing thing for me is it's so far off the mark.

"It's [presented as] a statement of fact. Where the hell they got that from I've no idea."

Dalton didn't want to buy into speculation for next year.

Clearly Auckland's fast-rising Gareth Anscombe is set to be one of the Blues' first five-eighths, but they will need another.

Said Dalton: "All I can say is we've had no discussions with Stephen or his agent at this point."