BUCHAREST - Petre Mitu will be left out of Romania's squad for this year's World Cup finals after the Montauban scrum half declined to play against Georgia earlier this year, Romania's Rugby Federation said on Thursday.
"Romania's national team's staff decided not to include Mitu in the (World Cup) squad and the players agreed," spokesman Radu Constantin told Reuters.
Local media reported that Mitu has had "exaggerated financial demands" to take part to that match, which decided Romania's qualification for the World Cup finals in France.
Constantin said Romania 30-man squad for the World Cup will be announced on August 14.
Romania will face Italy in their first Pool C match on September 12.
The group also includes New Zealand, Scotland and Portugal.