United States President Donald Trump has said Iran would be welcome at the Fifa World Cup later this year, but that he did not feel their participation would be appropriate “for their own life and safety”.
Trump’s comments follow those of Iranian Minister of Sports and Youth Ahmad Donyamali,who said the nation would not send a team to the tournament because of the war with the US and Israel.
That would leave the All Whites with a new opening opponent at the Fifa World Cup, with the New Zealand side set to face Iran at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California, on June 16.
“The Iran National Soccer Team is welcome to The World Cup, but I really don’t believe it is appropriate that they be there, for their own life and safety,” Trump said on his Truth Social platform.
The teams were put in Group G at the Fifa World Cup draw in December, the same event where Fifa awarded US President Donald Trump the inaugural peace prize. The USA is co-hosting the World Cup with Canada and Mexico.
Trump’s latest comments come after Fifa chief Gianni Infantino noted earlier this week that the US President had “reiterated that the Iranian team is, of course, welcome to compete in the tournament in the United States”.
The comments marked the first time that Infantino, who in December created a Fifa Peace Prize and awarded it to Trump, has acknowledged the ongoing war in the Middle East.
Trump’s remarks to Infantino are a stark contrast to his comments last week when he told Politico: “I really don’t care” if Iran play at the World Cup.
The US President’s change of stance came as Iranian officials suggested they might not turn up anyway after American and Israeli attacks, including the killing of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.
Iran’s team pose for a group photo before the AFC Women’s Asian Cup Australia 2026 match between Iran and the Philippines. Photo / AFP
Iran’s federation football chief on Tuesday also cast doubt on his team’s participation in the sporting extravaganza, after the defection of several women footballers from the Islamic republic during the Asian Cup in Australia last week.
“If the World Cup is like this, who in their right mind would send their national team to a place like this?” Mehdi Taj asked on Iranian state television.
While the event is spread out across three countries, Iran are scheduled to play all three group games in the United States, two in Los Angeles and one in Seattle.
What happens if Iran withdraw from Fifa World Cup?
Should Iran withdraw from the sport’s quadrennial showpiece, it would be the first time a country did that since France and India pulled out of the 1950 finals in Brazil.
Iran qualified for the World Cup after topping their group in the third round of Asian qualifying. One possible outcome if Iran withdraw or are banned from the World Cup is their place in Group G is replaced by Iraq, who earned a spot in the Inter-confederation play-offs, which take place later this month.
As it stands, Iraq will play the winner of Bolivia v Suriname on March 31 for a spot in the Fifa World Cup.
Iraq beat United Arab Emirates in the fifth round of qualifying, so are the next highest-ranked team in Asia. UAE could instead replace Iraq in that Inter-confederation play-off tournament, with Iraq moving into Group G.
Fifa has yet to confirm what will happen but is monitoring the situation in Iran.
“We had the finals draw in Washington in which all teams participated, and our focus is on a safe World Cup with all the teams participating,” Fifa secretary general Mattias Grafstrom said earlier this month.