A person has been taken to hospital with burns after a Rotorua house fire overnight.

Fire communications shift manager Murray Bannister said two fire crews were called to the home on Miller St, Glenholme, just before 3am.

When they arrived they found it well ablaze, Bannister said.

"There was a person taken to hospital with burns."


Bannister said the fire was extinguished and firefighters who stayed on dampening the area have now left the scene.

Housing New Zealand area manager Teresa Pou confirmed the house was a Housing New Zealand property.

"We have been in touch with the sole tenant this morning and are pleased he is safe and well.

"He is currently staying with friends and we will work with him to re-house him."

A neighbour, who did not want to be named said she woke up to a commotion and her partner thought someone was on their property.

"We heard the trucks pull up and I came outside.

"It was kind of a shock because our houses are all so close together."

The woman said the flames spread quite quickly.

"My partner he was shocked. He got up to run outside and said there was a fire. I ran out there and though 'oh my god'."


She said the occupant of the house kept to themselves.

"He must be still in shock to have woken up to his house on fire."

Another neighbour didn't see the fire itself but woke up later to the fire engines still there.

He said he saw both police and fire crews outside.

"I'm just glad they put it out."