Today we launched a 10-day series which looks at some of Auckland's biggest issues, what we are doing about them and what we need to do to become a world class city.
Today we've focused on one of the city's biggest issues - housing. Tomorrow we focus on environment.
Here's some of your feedback to questions posed around World-Class Auckland on social media today:
On Twitter: What does Auckland need to do to improve its affordable housing stock? Join the conversation at #worldclassAKL
Roger Marwick (@Marwicked)
The Auckland council has got to allow medium density housing in the inner burbs and the residents gotta stop objecting #worldclassAKL
@nzherald Some great tenants and LL's out there but both need better protection - Update the RTA to move with the times #WORLDCLASSAKL
From Facebook: What would make Auckland the best city in the world? The Herald's Facebook followers made hundreds of comments.
• Reliable and affordable public transportation!!! How much longer do we need to wait for it to happen? -Aimee Lin
• No point in asking as nothing will be done by those who are in power- Wiratama Sudjana
A train to our international airport - Israel Evers
• A tunnel to bypass Newmarket traffic. - Aaron Lucas
• Good quality houses to rent! I was disgusted by the state of the houses people are renting out when i had to look for a place last month! And for an absurd amount of money! -Ana Fonseca
• Vienna is fantastic for amenities. Budapest and Oslo too. Auckland doesn't need to aim for the Old World standard. Maybe look at how Santiago and Adelaide have recreated themselves. Perhaps reconsider the marketing to take on a broader view of Auckland as part of Pacific Rim culture. Positioning the city in that sense is more interesting than that 'little big city' branding they use. - Tolousain Andreu
• Have been to both Vienna and Zurich and they both have world leading public transport. Auckland has only just turned fully electric and lacks a rail link to the airport and still too many citizens rely on driving. - Alex Fletcher
• Auckland really needs an underground metro system. Every developed city in the world has one and Auckland is severely lagging behind. Also, cheaper public transport. Fares are so expensive. In the US each ride is about $2. -Frank Zhou
• All I can say if that Auckland even has a shot at being the best city in the world, nearly all other cities in the world must be complete crap. -Michael Turnbull
• Making it a great City to live in, improving infrastructure would go a long way to improving Auckland. Doesn't have to be #1 in the world. Affordable houses need to be strongly built, not forgoing quality. -Zelda Wynn
• It needs to stop being a collection of random suburbs and grow a real heart. -Edwin Van De Koolwijk