Prime Minister Christopher Luxon cut the ribbon at last week's ceremony. Video / Michael Craig
SkyCity Entertainment cited three reasons for its 3% revenue decline in its latest half-year report.
And it is continuing to suspend dividends and wants to sell $200 million of assets.
The company said the revenue fall was due to the implementation of carded play, which dispenses with cash; lower premiumtable volumes, particularly in Auckland and Adelaide and less VIP activity, which the company referred to as “customer churn“.
Revenue fell from $422m in the half-year to December 31, 2024 to $411.7m in the latest half-year.
Underlying earnings before interest and tax (ebit) fell from $119.5m to $85.5m and underlying net profit after tax fell from $44.2m to $14.4m.
“Underlying ebitda [earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation] for 1H26 reflects the expected first-half earnings profile and the operational changes introduced during the period,” a SkyCity statement said.
SkyCity CEO Jason Wallbridge (right) and Prime Minister Christopher Luxon (second from right) at the New Zealand International Convention Centre opening on February 11. Photo / Michael Craig
“Gaming revenue was affected by carded play in New Zealand, lower premium table volumes in Auckland and Adelaide and VIP customer churn,” the company said.
However, those factors had been partially offset by contributions from non-gaming businesses, including food and beverage and hotels.
Total net debt was reduced from $772.4m to $594.4m.
CEO Jason Walbridge said the half-year result reflected an operational transition.
The Herald's Anne Gibson with Prime Minister Christopher Luxon at the February 11 opening of the New Zealand Interntional Convention Centre in Auckland. Photo / Michael Craig
“We are undertaking a disciplined review of our operating model to ensure our cost structures reflect the current environment while maintaining our commitment to compliance and customer experience,” he said.
That points to cost-cutting and Walbridge confirmed plans for that today.
Prime Minister Christopher Luxon at the New Zealand International Convention Centre opening on February 11. Photo / Michael Craig
The company has engaged CBRE to sell its commercial office block at 99 Albert St, where it has its headquarters.
The office building is opposite the new central-city City Rail Link station, Te Waihorotiu.
However, trying to generate cash from other property has so far failed: attempts to lease about 3000 car parks beneath its Auckland properties have not resulted in any success.
Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei chairwoman Marama Royal (from left), Deputy Mayor Desley Simpson, Prime Minister Christopher Luxon, MP Louise Upston, SkyCity CEO Jason Wallbridge, Simeon Brown and New Zealand International Convention Centre general manager Prue Daly. Photo / Michael Craig
“The Auckland car park concession process has not resulted in a proposal that meets SkyCity’s commercial objectives,” Walbridge’s statement said.
That follows the botched deal with Macquarie which was meant to lease the parks under the convention centre but were not finished in time for that deal to be done.
Walbridge said SkyCity had a significant portfolio of assets “and is actively assessing monetisation options across individual assets and potential combinations”.
External advisers were engaged and the company hoped to sell $200m of assets.
Total costs in the half-year rose, partly due to ongoing investment in anti-money laundering compliance and host responsibility obligations.
This period also included pre-opening costs for the new convention centre and further investment in online, Walbridge said.
SkyCity CEO Jason Wallbridge (from left), Auckland Mayor Wayne Brown and Air New Zealand CEO Nikhil Ravishankar. Photo / Michael Craig
Carded play was introduced last July and has cut gaming activity and revenue, “as expected”, Walbridge said.
However, tracing customers via the cards did give the company more information about them, he added.
Of the $200m sales, Walbridge told the Herald different assets were being examined “to look at different options we may pursue to achieve our objectives before next February”.
“We own a number of commercial buildings – the carparks and also other assets we’re considering.”
Ngāti Whātua chairwoman Marama Royal (from left), New Zealand International Convention Centre general manager Prue Daly, SkyCity CEO Jason Walbridge, Prime Minister Christopher Luxon, Tourism Minister Louise Upston, Auckland Mayor Wayne Brown and Deputy Mayor Desley Simpson and Fletcher Building CEO Andrew Reding at the New Zealand International Convention Centre opening. Photo / Michael Craig
SkyCity wanted to lease just over 3000 car parks, he said.
On VIPs and customer churn, Walbridge said: “As we uplift our compliance procedures, some customers are choosing not to play with us anymore. Some are electing to moderate their level of play, and some were not able to permit themselves to play with us anymore.”
Last Wednesday, Prime Minister Christopher Luxon opened the company’s new New Zealand International Convention Centre.
Walbridge said the board would discuss dividends again at the end of this year.
SkyCity today reaffirmed its underlying ebitda guidance to be $190m to $210m for the full year to June 30, 2026.
Anne Gibson has been the Herald’s property editor for 26 years, written books and covered property extensively here and overseas.
Stay ahead with the latest market moves, corporate updates, and economic insights by subscribing to our Business newsletter – your essential weekly round-up of all the business news you need.