What are charter schools?
- School boards free to operate schools as they want or contract management to the private sector
- More freedom to set curriculum, length of the school day, performance-pay for teachers, and raising revenues through sponsorship with iwi, community groups, the private sector.
- Public funding to continue based on student numbers. No tuition fees
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- All students must be accepted regardless of academic ability. If over capacity, a ballot system could run
- Providers to compete to run existing schools, or set up a new one
- Schools may be eligible for capital funding for school property, or choose to rent, rather than own
- May set a zone as long as it does not deny access for disadvantaged students
- Accountable to school sponsors and subject to external review