The country's top cop says he is pleased to see Kiwis standing up against racism after members of the public helped to identify a man who verbally attacked two foreign men on a bus.
Lower Hutt man Moses Mohi Joe Tupaea, 66, pleaded guilty to charges of offensive behaviour and using threatening language when he appeared in Hutt Valley District Court on Tuesday.
The charges related to an incident on a bus in Lower Hutt last week which was caught on film by an Iraqi Muslim passenger.
Tupaea called out to a pair of two men who appeared to be Muslim, accusing them of being "Islam c***s" and telling them to "go back to your own country".
Pene Walker, 60, who was a passenger on the bus, stood up for the young men and called out to them "welcome to New Zealand" before telling Tupaea to behave himself.
Tupaea then repeatedly told Ms Walker to "shut your mouth up b****".
Police Commissioner Mike Bush today described Tupaea's actions as an "anti-Muslim attack".
He thanked the police and members of the public who were able to identify Tupaea.
"It was especially pleasing to see so many members of the public standing up against racism," Mr Bush said.
"New Zealand is very lucky to be a peaceful and tolerant society, and there is no place for that sort of abuse in this country. Well done to all involved."
Warning: Video contains strong language
Outside court this week, Tupaea said he was sorry to Ms Walker and the young men involved.
"It just came out I'm sorry about that," he said. "I am not a racist man."
Tupaea said this was the first time - and last time - he would have an "outburst" like this on a bus.