An attempt to refloat a Korean ship grounded off Gisborne will be made on Wednesday, the Maritime Safety Authority (MSA) said today.
The 150m Jody F Millennium ran aground almost two weeks ago in 5m swells off Waikanae Beach in Gisborne and subsequently began leaking fuel oil into the sea from
a ruptured tank.
Attempts to shift the ship have failed but tugs and barges from as far away as Nelson and Melbourne have now arrived in Gisborne to help with the salvage.
The MSA said today the ship would be attached to three tugs today and a refloating attempt made early afternoon on Wednesday.
Additional "ground tackle" -- chains, wires and anchors -- had also been put in place to assist the salvage.
The anchors were laid out and the wires attached to winches on the ship. They would help swing the ship toward deeper water.
That equipment, used in conjunction with tugs, had earlier helped turn the ship into the sea, rather than taking the swell broadside.
The MSA said the salvor, United Salvage, had provided an undertaking not to attempt a refloat during darkness.
If the ship was moved at night and an oil spill occurred, it would be very difficult to control.
While most of the oil had been removed, about 35 tonnes had yet to be pumped off the ship.
Salvors would also look at removing an another 2000 tonnes of cargo, much of it logs, before Wednesday.
However, due to safety issues, helicopters were unable to remove cargo while salvors were on deck.
The clean-up and salvage has so far cost an estimated $2 million.
- NZPA