RNZ chairman Richard Griffin says he has no intention of handing over a voice message left on his mobile phone by Broadcasting Minister Clare Curran.
"No, I have no intention of handing it over, so I'm in breach of the select committee directive," he told the Herald.
He declined to comment further, saying a letter outlining the reasons why had been sent to the Economic Development, Science and Innovation Select Committee.
The committee had requested the voicemail and other communications between the Minister and Griffin following his and RNZ chief executive Paul Thompson's appearance last week to correct the record over a meeting between RNZ's former head of content Carol Hirschfeld and Curran.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
The voicemail on Griffin's phone is central to determining whose account, Curran's or Griffin's, is correct about advice she gave him.
The recording either reveals Curran tried to persuade Griffin not to appear, as he has suggested, or that she was passing on advice that he need not appear in person if he was not able and a letter would suffice.
Hirschfeld was forced to resign after repeatedly lying to her bosses over a meeting she had with Curran in December. She had said it was a chance encounter but Curran later said it had been diarised.
The pair met at Wellington's Astoria café but the substance of what they discussed has not been revealed.
Select committee chairman Jonathan Young said the committee would meet on Wednesday to review last week's hearing.
He said a number of issues would be canvassed. Whether to ask Hirschfeld to appear would be discussed only if it was raised by a committee member.
National MP Melissa Lee, who has driven questions over the meeting, said she had not yet had a chance to review the committee documents so would not say whether she would raise the possibility of Hirschfeld appearing.