One of the men who caught fire after being shocked by 11,000-volt powerlines while trying to put up a metal flagpole has died.
Jason Webb, 42, was one of three men working in Normanby Rd, in the central Auckland suburb of Mt Eden, more than a week ago when a crane on the back of the truck brushed live powerlines.
Power surged through the truck, driven by Dwayne Webb. Jason, his brother, and Brett Mills received the full force of the shock.
Jason Webb was taken to Middlemore Hospital in a critical condition. He died on Saturday.
Dwayne Webb said last night: "I don't think his 2-year-old daughter understands much at all. His 9-year-old son has gone very quiet. How does a 9-year-old boy understand that his father's gone?"
Mr Webb said his brother loved taking his son out on the water at Snells Beach in their inflatable boat. "He lived for his family. He was very supportive to his wife and children and that was his main passion."
The brothers ran Kumeu-based Yachtspars New Zealand.
"We were brothers, the best of mates, and we ran the company together. We had the odd argument but never had a fight.
"For two brothers to work day in and day out, that's virtually unheard of. We got along very well - he was just a nice guy."
Mr Webb said his brother had suffered severe electrical burns, but the doctors at Middlemore had not expected his condition to worsen.
Last week, Mr Webb described how he saw his brother catch fire and Mr Mills get shocked.
Jason Webb was lying on the ground on fire and Mr Mills was stuck to the truck with electricity surging through him.
"I heard a 'stop' and leaped out - it must have been in split seconds - to find Brett ... I thought the thing might have fallen over. I got a little shock getting out but it still didn't occur to me that was what was happening."
Mr Webb said he was acting on instinct. "On the other side, my brother was on the ground and was literally on fire. He obviously got the first jolt somehow that absolutely zapped him."
People came running from all directions wanting to help.
Mr Webb did not want to pre-empt a Department of Labour investigation, but told the Herald he believed a communication breakdown was to blame.