By THERESA GARNER and NZPA
The father of a 3-year-old girl who died after a car crash in Napier has been discharged from hospital as police try to piece together the circumstances of the tragedy.
The girl and her 4-year-old brother were in a car being driven by their father on Sunday
when it left the road on a right-hand bend and travelled 25m before hitting a boy playing in a park.
The girl was sitting in the front seat and is not thought to have been wearing a seatbelt.
She died in hospital yesterday of head injuries.
Her injured brother has been released from hospital.
A 10-year-old boy playing with his brother in the park suffered back injuries but has since been discharged from hospital.
His brother had tried to pull him out of the way of the car.
Detective Inspector Godfrey Watson, of Napier, said a large team of detectives was working with traffic police to determine what had happened. Initial analysis of the crash scene indicated the car did not brake.
It is understood the 35-year-old father took the children from their mother's house just moments before the crash.
Police had been called to the house hours earlier.
Mr Watson said police were considering whether to lay charges.
"It's too early yet to say exactly what's gone on."
He said police had spoken to the father but he could not provide much information.