“While nothing occurred on school grounds, an altercation took place later that afternoon at the Great North Rd bus stop.”
Police “increased their presence around the school” yesterday after further threats by external students on social media, Davis said.
Staff and involved whānau have been working “tirelessly to contain the situation”.
“These measures are in place to ensure our young people remain safe on their journey home.”
Davis asked parents to speak to their children and “reiterate the importance of not leaving school without permission”.
It is “vital” students don’t put themselves in potentially dangerous situations by engaging with external groups and leaving school grounds during the day, he wrote.
“We also ask that if parents have further information pertaining to the incidents that they contact our senior leadership team.
“The safety of our students is our absolute priority, and we thank you for your continued support and vigilance.”
Inspector Jacqui Whittaker, Auckland City West Area Commander, said police were aware youth from certain schools in the central-west Auckland area had been posting on social media inviting other students to get involved in aggressive behaviour.
“Police have been working very closely with the schools involved to ensure the safety of all students,” she said.
“In some areas, there will be an increased police presence at select times of the day.
“This presence is a precautionary measure and we want to ensure students’ safety and prevent any altercations from taking place.”
Whittaker said some of the parties involved have been identified by police and they are working with schools and parents to make it clear this behaviour is unacceptable.
Last Friday, police were sent to Point Chevalier, near Western Springs, to stop an alleged planned fight between students.
At least three police vehicles, including a van, were seen as students headed home from school.
A police officer was also stationed on the corner of Great North Rd and Premier Ave.
Police confirmed they were present after social media suggestions of a planned fight between students from several high schools.
“Our school community officer has been liaising with schools concerned,” the spokesperson said.
“No students showed and, pleasingly, there are no issues to report.”