No charges will be laid over allegations that Sharks NRL team members sexually abused a Christchurch woman, police said yesterday.
Hornby police Inspector John Doyle said an investigation had been completed, all parties had been spoken to and no charges would be laid.
Last month four police officers, including Mr Doyle, visited
Sydney to interview Sharks players and management.
A 19-year-old woman accused several players of sexual misconduct while she socialised at the team hotel in Riccarton on February 15.
Sharks chairman Barry Pierce said he would be happy to take the team back to Christchurch despite the investigation casting a shadow over their last visit.
"I'd love to return there and I'm sure we'd be welcomed back," he said.
He said the club was pleased the matter was now put to rest.
Asked if the investigation had affected the players, Pierce pointed to the National Rugby League table, which has the Sharks and Newcastle as the only unbeaten teams after three rounds.
- NZPA