The Britomart Precinct was an abundant resource for the Auckland isthmus and many battles were waged for its control. A Maori pa once stood on Britomart Point and overlooked the harbour.
The precinct was the trading heart of the city for much of the last century. It was formed in the 1880s when a large amount of city land was created through major land reclamation.
The precinct is named for Britomart Point, which was the original peninsula lying approximately at the junction of Quay Street and Kings Wharf. The Point itself was named for the HMS Britomart.
On 18 September 1840 Captain Hobson and his party from the HMS Britomart landed at Britomart Point, where the British flag was raised and a gun salute fired. The officers were employed on a detailed survey of the Waitemata and it was as part of this survey that the ship's name was bestowed on Britomart Point.
Britomart was the name given to the daughter of King Ryence of Wales. Britomart was the name of one of the Lady Knights of King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table. The word Britomart also comes from a mythological Cretan goddess Britomartis.
1700 - 1800
Maori occupation before reclamation.
Admiralty charter of the Waitemata Harbour.
Fort Britomart established.
Britomart Point demolished, filling used to reclaim the Britomart area.
Reclaimed land for sale.
Queen St station open on the Britomart site.
CPO construction starts.
CPO officially opened.
First bus service to CPO.
Prince of Wales visits.
Auckland Railway Station opens on Beach Rd.
Britomart bus terminal opens.
CPO Annexe completed.
Britomart carpark opens.
Harbour Bridge opens.
Britomart underground station proposed.
Britomart underground station cancelled.
Queen St closed between Quay St and Customs St.
Queen Elizabeth Square opens.
Deregulation of Auckland Harbour Board and Railways Department.
Britomart Development proposed.
Britomart Development cancelled with stock market crash.
Auckland City purchases all Britomart properties.
Auckland City purchases CPO.
Auckland City proposes the Britomart project.
CPO ground floor opens as Britomart display centre.
Britomart project rethink.
Rail tunnel completed.
Station resource consent granted.
Demolition of CPO Annexe, Britomart bus terminal and carpark.
Britomart funding applications made.
Britomart underground railway station construction begins.
CPO restoration begins.
Queen Elizabeth Square closed.
Footpaths and services construction begins.
Britomart Transport Centre completed.
Britomart properties sold or leased with new urban design guidelines.
For further information visit Britomart