The search continues for Mike McClennan - former international league coach and Kiwi league fullback - who went missing from an Auckland rest home yesterday evening.

McClennan was last seen walking Northbound on the Hibiscus Coast Highway about 5pm yesterday.

Waitematā Police are calling for the public's help to find the 75-year-old, who was last seen in Orewa yesterday evening.

They say a number of search and rescue personnel have been searching the wider Orewa area today for McClennan but he has not yet been located.


McClennan is the father of former Kiwis and Warriors coach Brian "Bluey" McClennan.

He has advanced dementia, Brian says.

McClennan is about 1.7m tall, with grey hair and was last wearing a red and black St Helens league tracksuit top with blue jeans. He is also wearing a bracelet with his wife's contact details, his son says.

"He's a really approachable, kind man but he'll be confused."

Police are also appealing for any motorists with dash camera footage, who travelled between Silverdale and Warkworth yesterday between 3pm and 10pm, to check their footage for anyone matching his description.

"We are particularly interested in speaking to anyone who travelled on the Hibiscus Coast Highway during those times who may also have dash camera footage," a police spokesperson said.

Police believe it's possible he may have been given a lift by a member of the public in their vehicle. Anyone who saw or picked him up is asked to call 111.

There had been unconfirmed sightings of McClennan heading north on the Hibiscus Coast Highway toward Hatfields Beach, around 5pm. The family were surprised by those reports as they believed McClennan would have headed for Grey Lynn or Mt Albert.


"Whenever you talk to him he always thinks he lives in Maidstone St again, where he grew up. It's off Karangahape Rd, right in the heart of the city," Brian said. "Or he wants to get to Fowlds Park in Mt Albert. He used to coach there ... his mind always takes him back there."

Mike McClennan, 75, escaped his Orewa dementia home around 4pm last night and there have been no confirmed sightings since.
Mike McClennan, 75, escaped his Orewa dementia home around 4pm last night and there have been no confirmed sightings since.

However, he may have his directions confused as he sometimes thought Orewa was Mission Bay.

Search and rescue crews conducted an area search overnight, and another search of the Orewa area took place this morning.

Police were out in force, with helicopters helping in the search as well as numerous family and friends, Brian said.

"Honestly there are so many people scouring the area, it's pretty humbling. He's a pretty popular, well-loved man."