A Havelock North resident has burns on her face, chest and hand after a hot pumpkin exploded "like a bomb" when she picked it up out of her microwave.

Florencia Ferrari says she wants to tell her cautionary tale about the perils of microwaving the popular vegetable to prevent others from doing what she did.

On Friday she bought a small gem squash pumpkin from Countdown Hastings, and tried to cut it in half to prepare to cook a stuffed pumpkin meal in the oven.

"I tried to cut it in half, but it was too hard, the skin was

Advertisement
Advertisement