Armed police in West Auckland this morning responded to reports of gunfire and negotiated with a man believed to have locked himself in a house.

Both a primary school and early childcare centre in Glen Eden were put into lockdown due to the incident but this was lifted shortly after midday.

Relieving Area Commander Waitematā West Inspector Stefan Sagar said police were "following strong lines of inquiry" after attending the incident at a Glen Eden property.

Police were called to the address after 10am followings reports a gun was fired and established cordons in the immediate area on a section of West Coast Rd near Glendale Rd.


The Armed Offenders Squad were deployed to the area as a precaution and the Eagle helicopter was also used.

Sagar said some schools in the surrounding area were initially placed into lockdown as a precautionary measure, however this was later lifted.

The police response was standard, he said.

"We would like to remind the community that we take these sorts of incidents seriously and will respond accordingly."

A roofer working on a building one house from the residence where the alleged gunman was believed to be held up earlier said "you can hear the AOS over a loudhailer saying 'this is your last chance to give yourself up'."

Earlier a local resident passing by, Richard Ramage, told the Herald he had seen a heavy police presence following some sort of disturbance.

"From what I am aware he has locked himself in the house and is refusing to come out."

Both Glen Eden Primary School and Talented Tots childcare went into a lockdown, while the Salvation Army Family Store at the corner of West Coast Rd and Glendale Rd also temporarily closed its doors.

Police have been negotiating with a man in West Auckland after reports of gunfire. Photo / Doug Sherring
Police have been negotiating with a man in West Auckland after reports of gunfire. Photo / Doug Sherring

Talented Tots childcare centre manager Rehana Chand said the 33 children in their care pretty much slept through the lockdown, blissfully unaware of any drama unfolding nearby, as it was nap time.

The early childcare centre went into lockdown under police advice and this was lifted about 1pm.

"Their routines were not disrupted, we keep it as normal as we can," she said.

"We have procedures in place for such things," she said.

The early childcare centre had ten staff members looking after the children at the time.

Schools have been on high alert after the Christchurch mosque shootings.

Last week three Auckland schools around Avondale were put in lockdown after of sightings of a man with a firearm.

It later emerged the weapon was only a BB gun.