Power is out for hundreds of central Auckland homes following reports of a transformer explosion in Avondale.
Vector has now confirmed it was not a transformer explosion but instead a faulty cable riser.
At 9pm power had been restored to around 400 homes while a further 400 were still without power, a spokesperson said.
Fire Emergency New Zealand responded to Blockhouse Bay Rd at 7.42pm following reports of a transformer explosion.
However after no signs of fire, the matter was passed on to Vector, a FENZ spokesman said.
A Vector spokesperson said the company had sent out a repair crew to investigate.