An outpouring of love following the tragic death of a security guard who was allegedly attacked at a supermarket has been felt in Papakura.

Goran Milosavljevic was allegedly attacked while at Countdown, and died from his injuries a day later.

The store was blessed by a kaumātua last night.

Manurewa-Papakura Ward councillor Daniel Newman, who is now acting as a spokesperson for the family, said they wanted privacy.


It was an "extremely traumatic" time and every support was being offered to them, he said.

"The family are really appreciative of the outpouring of grief, support and aroha."

A man who identified himself as a colleague called Newstalk ZB last night to speak of the "tremendous" public support following the shock death of the Serbian national.

The caller told Newstalk ZB a laminated photo of Milsavljevic had been placed in commemoration outside the store, where he had worked for eight months.

Messages of condolences had flooded into the store, victim support had visited to help staff and a kaumātua had been brought in to lift the tapu from the site, he said.

But it had been a shocking and stressful time, he said.

"We can't do much … I don't want to go too much into those details because I don't want to put it out there," the caller said.

"Today, we were told to just let things go and take it easy but I caught two shoplifters today, there's no respect.


"It's pretty shocking and pretty stressful today, they gave me the rest of the afternoon off but I couldn't leave my staff."

The man credited Countdown management for being hugely supportive.

Countdown general manager corporate affairs Kiri Hannifin said the immediate focus continued to be supporting the family and staff members.

"We have counsellors and additional team members on site offering support.

"Last night, a kaumātua blessed the store."

A teenager charged with manslaughter for Milosavljevic's death has been granted interim name suppression and appeared in the Papakura District Court yesterday.

Yesterday, the Industry Coordinator of E tū - the union for security guards - Jill Ovens said the union sent its condolences to Milsavljevic's family.

"This is a tragedy for the family and will also be very upsetting for the man's colleagues.

"No one should go to work and not return home at the end of the day."

Ovens said the situation was particularly concerning given that it was the second serious assault on a security guard within the past week.

A guard was also attacked in the Accident and Emergency Department at Auckland Hospital last Friday.

"This is a sobering reminder of the vulnerability of security officers, despite changes to health and safety legislation after the death of Chavanpreet Dhaliwal on an Auckland building site in 2011."