Police are investigating after a Molotov cocktail was allegedly thrown at a Glen Innes, Auckland, property overnight.

The occupants quickly left the home and nobody was injured after the Taniwha St property caught fire at 2.40am on Saturday.

The home wasn't badly damaged but police confirmed the fire was suspicious.

Fire and Emergency were seen removing a bottle from the roof and there were burn marks near the front door, a photographer at the scene said.

Advertisement

Officials on site said a Molotov cocktail had been discovered, he said.

A Fire and Emergency northern communications shift manager this morning said no investigators were at the scene today and the matter was in the hands of police.

It's the second blaze on the same street this week.

Earlier in the week fire crew battled a well involved fire which incinerated a home on Tuesday night.

A police spokeswoman said the two fires were unrelated.

"The fire earlier in the week was not suspicious, it was caused by a cooking accident. The two fires are not linked."