A woman who lured Lower Hutt man Matthew Stevens to his death in 2014 will be released from prison in January.

Kelly Leigh Crook was jailed last year for her part in Steven's murder, after pleading guilty to charges of causing grievous bodily harm and being an accessory after the fact.

Stevens, 32, lived in the Hutt Valley and was only weeks away from graduating with new trucking qualifications when he was killed three years ago.

Read more: Big Read: The body-on-the-hill murder


He was lured to a Lower Hutt flat in late November 2014 by Kelly Crook, who was in a relationship with another co-offender, Darrin Wilkie-Morris.

Stevens had previously been threatened by Wilkie-Morris and another man, Stuart Wilton, and only agreed to go to the flat after Crook assured him the pair were out of town.

In fact, they were driving around Lower Hutt, and when Stevens arrived, Crook sent a text telling them he was there.

On arriving, both men attacked Stevens, and Wilton fatally stabbed him.

The site where Matthew Steven's body and car were found on the Paekakariki Hill Rd.
The site where Matthew Steven's body and car were found on the Paekakariki Hill Rd.

The group dumped his body and van off the side of the road on Paekakariki Hill.

The Parole Board has decided to release Crook from prison into a community-based facility next month so she can "acclimatise" before her sentence ends.

Her sentence is due to expire on April 11, 2018.

It was asked that Crook be released on parole in December, but the board was uncomfortable with that option due to pre-Christmas staffing levels and staff induction at the facility.

"We are, however, mindful of the statutory release date and we are confident that a release to the [withheld] would be best in terms of a safe transition into [the] community for Ms Crook," the Parole Board report said.

In January, Crook will be released to a private residence before being sent to a community based provider.

Details of the type of facility Crook is going to were withheld in the Parole Board's report, but there was mention of Crook being subjected to testing or monitoring for drug and alcohol.

Upon her release, Crook must undertake programmes, as well as undertake budgeting advice.

She is not allowed into the Porirua or Greater Hutt Valley area, must submit to electronic monitoring, and must stay on a 10pm to 5am curfew.