A rugby league fan has been hit by a brick thrown from a moving car after Tonga's semifinal loss to England.

Michael Boggs was walking along Walls Rd in Penrose with his wife, after tonight's match at Mt Smart Stadium, when half a brick hurtled towards him and hit his ankle.

"It was quite alarming…and a little scary [we had] to make sure we kept on moving and got to the car and away as soon as we could," he said.

"Lucky it was only a little clip and a bit off hobbling...I'm all good luckily."


Boggs, who is the CEO of NZME, said just moments before the frightening ordeal he had walked past a police car with a completely shattered back window, parked halfway across Walls Rd. Police had also started to close the road off.

Boggs said Walls Rd was lined with fans enjoying themselves.

"The whole game was amazing and the environment outside of the ground was pretty good until that point."

The incident has not been reported to police.

Police confirmed the window of a patrol vehicle was smashed on Rockfield Rd, which runs off Walls Rd, tonight. No one was injured and police were making further inquiries.

Earlier this evening, match operation commander Inspector Peter Gibson said there had been no arrests at the match. However, 18 people were evicted for intoxication or disorder.

There was a strong police presence around the Otahuhu town centre after the match - the scene of unrest after previous Rugby League World Cup clashes featuring Tonga.

Police blocked off several streets around the central quarter to traffic, while groups of police officers patrolled the streets.

Tonga's dedicated fans have been one of the huge success stories of the tournament.

They have celebrated their national pride before matches, at match venues, and in many post-match celebrations.

But the actions of some have created headlines for the wrong reasons.

The otherwise vibrant atmosphere the tournament has brought to Auckland has been marred by several violent clashes that have resulted in two police officers being injured and multiple arrests.

Extra frontline officers have been brought in for tonight's game and crowds have been warned to be on their best behaviour with the promise of a zero tolerance approach to drunk and disorderly groups.

A police officer was knocked unconscious by one reveller while patrolling in Otahuhu last weekend while another officer was struck in the face with a flagpole, and has only just returned to work on light duties.

A man was arrested in relation to the latter incident but the officer who was hit last weekend is still off work and police haven't found the offender.

Clashes in Otahuhu erupted earlier in the month with hundreds of Tonga and Samoa supporters, some armed with weapons, brawling on public streets. Dozens of arrests have been made following Saturday night games since.