The work expenses of former Waikato District Health Board chief executive Dr Nigel Murray will finally be released to the public tomorrow.

Murray resigned last month after a two-month investigation into his expenses, which the Herald understands found claims associated with women that were not work-related.

Hundreds of pages of the receipts will be released along with answers to numerous Official Information Act requests, including from the Herald.

These answers will be in a letter covering the responses as well as a timeline of the investigation, which began in July.

Advertisement

There will be three files containing the expenses and receipts covering the three years Murray was in the top job at the DHB, including his 2016/17 expenses, which were not disclosed at the end of July as usually expected.

DHB spokeswoman Lydia Aydon said the dump would include everything Murray had ever claimed since he began at the DHB in July 2014.

However it would not include the findings of the investigation that ended when Murray resigned on October 5.

At that time the DHB said Murray was found to have spent more than the agreed $25,000 to relocate from Canada to Hamilton and other "unauthorised expenses".

It accepted Murray's resignation on the basis he repay all outstanding amounts, though it's understood this has not been done yet.

Aydon said the letter would explain why the investigation's full findings would not be released.

The information dump comes the same day as the third official request for the receipts, made by the Herald, is due.

The move is unusual. Requests made under the Official Information Act are usually released privately to the requester.

Advertisement

Aydon confirmed the information would be the same given to the Ministry of Health in a briefing this week.

The Ministry of Health requested the briefing after the Herald revealed it understood the independent inquiry into Murray's expenses found claims for travel and accommodation associated with two women who were not his wife.

It comes as the Audit New Zealand review of the processes and management around Murray's expenses, including authorisation, wrapped up and the DHB begins an investigation into its controversial, multimillion dollar SmartHealth app.

Aydon said the DHB had not yet received the Audit NZ report of that investigation which took place at the same time as the inquiry into Murray's spending.

The information will be posted on the Waikato DHB website from noon tomorrow.