The brother of a 15-year-old killed in a police chase - who fled after the funeral - is facing charges of attacking police.

Morrocco Mal Tai, 15, died last Monday after the car he was driving crashed in Otara in the early hours of the morning.

Tai had fled police in the stolen car and when it crashed his two female passengers, aged 16, were seriously injured.

His brother Quade Tai was behind bars on remand when he died.


Read more:
Morrocco Tai's brother on the run after prison release for funeral
The final hours before teenager Morrocco Tai died in a police chase
The big read: from wagging school to robbing dairies: Morrocco Tai's life of crime

Quade Tai had been remanded in custody after appearing in the Auckland District Court on charges including assaulting police, injuring police, burglary and producing and procuring methamphetamine.

His next court date is October 31 for a case review hearing.

But when Morrocco died Quade Tai applied for bail.

He appeared in the Auckland District Court last week and was granted temporary release on bail from Mt Eden Corrections Facility to attend Morrocco's funeral.

A condition of that bail was that Quade Tai return to the prison by a specified time after the service on Friday.

He failed to return and is now wanted by police.

It is understood police would be seeking a warrant to arrest Quade Tai today.


Police could not comment this morning.

Morrocco Tai was one of six children.

His parents Jo-ann Stevens and Andrew Tai, known as Pandy, have yet to comment on Morrocco's death or Quade's legal situation.

The aftermath of the crash that killed Morrocco Tai, 15, in South Auckland. New Zealand Herald photograph
The aftermath of the crash that killed Morrocco Tai, 15, in South Auckland. New Zealand Herald photograph

In August when Morrocco turned 15 Stevens posted on Facebook.

She said he had "grown into a handsome young man" but he would always be her "baby boy".

"I just want to say that mum jo-ann stevens and ur dad pandy tai love u heaps.," she wrote.

"We wish u all the best for ur day and many more to come lots of love kumin at cha (sic)."

Last month the teenager was a passenger in a stolen car which was travelling at speeds of up 120km/h in the wrong direction on Auckland's Southern Motorway.

He was in the front passenger seat when the car was captured on camera.

Earlier this week the Herald revealed that after the motorway incident Morrocco was bitten by a police dog and hospitalised.

He discharged himself from Middlemore Hospital eight days later - just nine days before he died.