The man who shot four police officers during a dramatic gunfight in Bay of Plenty has today been jailed.

Sixteen months after Rhys Richard Ngahiwi Warren barricaded himself inside his grandmother's property near Kawerau and shot at police during a 22-hour stand-off, he was sentenced at the High Court in Tauranga.

Warren faced two charges of attempted murder, three of using a firearm against a law enforcement officer and one of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Jury's question in Kawerau siege trial
Kawerau siege biggest NZ police shootout; internal report shows AOS tactics 'not optimal'
Kawerau siege shooter thumbs his nose at justice system
Exclusive: Hero cop ends Kawerau siege


He was sentenced to 10 years' jail and preventive detention.

Warren injured four police officers as they surrounded him at the Onepu Springs Rd property.

Eventually, Warren was coerced into giving himself up after talking with Inspector Warwick Morehu, who knew Warren's family from his time at Kawerau.

The siege began about 10am on March 9 last year when a police plane circled Onepu Springs Rd as part of a routine cannabis search. Shots were reportedly fired near the plane, so Armed Offenders Squads from Tauranga and Rotorua were sent to the property.

When no one answered the phone, reacted to the loudhailer or rocks thrown on the roof, armed police approached the house. Warren responded with bullets.

At the sentencing three out of four of the police officers injured gave their victim impact statements.

Bay of Plenty District Commander, Superintendent Andy McGregor said all four had returned to work but acknowledged the impact the shooting had on them and their families.

"We are immensely proud of the way they have conducted themselves and put themselves at risk to keep the community safe during this incident," he said.


"Today has been another step in closure for the staff involved and I hope the result of today's sentencing provides some comfort to them and their families."

Mr McGregor said the officers were grateful for the support they had received from the community and wider New Zealand.