More than a week after the Kaikoura earthquake, much of the lower North Island's biggest mall remains closed while a parking building is strengthened.

Engineers say the building in Lower Hutt's Queensgate Shopping Centre was damaged in last Monday's quake and although it isn't in danger of collapsing another big shake could damage it further.

They've recommended structural strengthening and Queensgate spokesman Rod McaKenzie said the work has been ordered urgently.

The mall closed after the Kaikoura quake and it was initially believed damage was only superficial.

However, only six of 180 stores have since reopened and the mall's cinema complex also remains closed.

As a safety precaution, the footpath and road on the corners of Waterloo Rd and Bloomfield Tce have been closed by the Hutt City Council for strengthening work.

It's hoped the shopping centre will progressively reopen this week.

Meanwhile, British nationals in New Zealand will be affected by the closure of the High Commission in Thorndon.

The Commission was closed for safety reasons following an engineer's report.

High Commissioner Jonathan Sinclair said they will work around the temporary closure as best they can.

British nationals who need consular help can call (04) 924 2888.

Repairs to Wellington's Westpac Stadium are on track to be completed in time for Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood's concert on December 3.

Last weekend's Wellington Phoenix match at the stadium had to be postponed after engineers reported earthquake damage.

Burst water pipes and broken windows have already been replaced, stadium chief executive Shane Harmon said.

Meanwhile, the Wellington City Council said a 110 tonne excavator should start demolishing a damaged Molesworth St building this week. Work could begin as soon as today.

Workers are waiting to get services to the building switched off.

Council manager of building compliance and consents Mike Scott said the nine-storey building will be demolished from the top down.

Jaw-like machinery will crunch the building down, in what he said was a relatively quiet process.

Part of the cordon on Molesworth St could be lifted as soon as next week.

Following news a family was illegally living in the building when the earthquake hit, Wellington MP Grant Robertson wants to know what happned to the rent money the family were paying.


Prime Property Group said a family were living there because an employee was trying to help the family.

But Wellington's mayor Justin Lester said he was aware of three residential tenancies in the building at the time.

Robertson said landlo9rd had serious questions to answer.

Robertson understood the family were paying rent, and questioned who they were paying it to.

Meanwhile, Ministry for Primary Industries staff are calling for better emergency communication at Wellington Airport following the quake.

About 20 minutes after the earthquake a flight from Brisbane landed and staff say they were expected to process passengers with little information about their own safety.

PSA national secretary Glenn Barclay said later when a tsunami warning was issued, many members of staff had to rely on their families for emergency information.

- NewstalkZB