The sound of glass exploding and smashing on to the footpath below gave shoppers at The Base an unwanted surprise this afternoon.

Shoppers walking past the ASB at The Base in Te Rapa just after 1pm were lucky to escape the glass falling on them.

The pane of glass which broke was one of several in an awning outside the shop.

One shopper told the Herald it "randomly exploded".


Shards of glass landed in a man's Jandal, but he quickly brushed it off, she said. No one was injured.

"Everyone just appeared shocked," she said. "It happened from out of nowhere."

An ASB spokesperson said no-one was injured and staff working at the time were fine.

The awning was not part of ASB's premises.