It has been a busy Wednesday night for Auckland fire crews, who have been called to at least four fires in the region.

Northern fire communications shift manager Megan Ruru said there was no evidence at this stage to indicate any of the fires had been caused by fireworks, which went on sale today.

Fire crews, along with police and paramedics, were called to a house on Inga Rd in Milford around 5.40pm and a Fire Service decontamination unit was later set up at property. Police described the blaze as suspicious.

A man tried to flee the scene but was arrested by police. He had burns to his hands from the fire and was taken to North Shore hospital.


A roof at a LynnMall restaurant was alight just after 7pm and the department sent seven engines to the scene, Ruru said.

Around 8pm firefighters were "dampening down" and ventilating the restaurant, she said, and a fire investigator was heading to the scene.

A house in Weymouth was "well ablaze" when crews arrived, Ruru said.

Four engines were initially called to the scene around 7.15pm, but two were stood down when first responders managed to get the fire under control.

Ruru said the fire was thought to be suspicious and an investigator had been sent to the Tonuitangi St address.

Police and ambulance also attended the Weymouth fire and one person was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation.

A car had also caught fire on the Southern Motorway, between Mt Wellington and Princes St, southbound, Ruru said.

No one was in the car when fire crews arrived so it was believed no one was hurt.