The horrific images and media reports of her granddaughter's death are too much for Kath Cook who is avoiding the television following the Gold Coast tragedy.

Cindy Low's grandmother Kath Cook told the Herald she was too upset to speak to media after her granddaughter's death at Dreamworld on Tuesday.

Cook said having the tragedy plastered all over the media was difficult and she was avoiding television because of it.

Cook, who raised Low, said the family was awaiting news of funeral arrangements.


Low's father Tony Cook and a younger sister had travelled to Australia to be with her husband Mathew Low and the couple's two young children. Mathew's father, Bruce, and mother, Dianne Bond, were already on the Gold Coast.

Dreamworld boss Deborah Thomas: 'This could have been my family'
Dreamworld lacked staff and had 'culture of fear and intimidation'
Dreamworld tragedy: Children's survival 'an act of God'
Dreamworld may have no defence: lawyer
Marketing expert says Dreamworld should 'completely take on the blame'

Cindy's younger brother Josh Cook declined to speak to the Herald.

The Cook family attend St Margaret's Anglican church in Kawerau, where Jenny Reynolds is priest.

She told the Herald the family just wanted privacy.

Reynolds said Low was a "lovely person", but did not want to comment further.

"This is really tragic and the family needs privacy and time to grieve."

Cindy Low went to school in the town before meeting her husband-to-be, Mathew, later in life.

The couple have lived in Sydney for over a decade but were holidaying on the Gold Coast at the weekend.

The 42-year-old was one of four killed at Dreamworld while on the Thunder River Rapids ride on Tuesday.

Six people - four adults and two children - were on the flume when it flipped, throwing the two children from the raft but fatally trapping the four adults in machinery below.

Low, nee Cook, was sitting next to her 10-year-old son, Kieran, on the ill-fated ride. Her husband and 6-year-old daughter were not on the ride.

Kieran was the last person to see his mother alive and knew immediately that she died.

He spent the night in Gold Coast University Hospital with his father at his bedside.

The Low family were living in Gosford, which is about two hours north of Sydney, and news of Cindy's death was still being spread.

The East Gosford Rams soccer club was today reeling after discovering one of their juniors was involved in the tragedy, which claimed his mother, the Daily Telegraph reported.

Kieran Low played in the club's Under 10B side this year. Club president Stuart Wetherall said he had only learnt of the connection today.

"It's the shock of it," he said. "The club is devastated to hear about it and our thoughts and prayers are with the family."

Kieran, who is understood to attend East Gosford Public School, was thrown from the raft while his mother Cindy was fatally pinned underneath.

Mr Low, a business systems specialist for hearing aid company Oticon, was in a state of "intense grief", his workmates said.

"The family are traumatised and kindly request that their privacy be respected as they try to come to terms with this tragic loss," a statement from the North Ryde company said.