The motorcycle-mad Englishman tragically killed while taking part in the Greymouth Street Races went everywhere with his parrot Reggie who squawked and flapped when his best mate crashed and later died.

Guy Lowe died on Sunday after crashing his bike in the Greymouth races in what his brother Andy has described as a freak accident.

"Somebody came off in front of him. He hit that and his bike landed awkwardly ... It's shocking that someone like that should lose their life."

Friends and family are now remembering the 55-year-old as a real character who never said a bad word about anyone and lived for bikes.


"I can't think of anyone who didn't like him. I really really can't. He was just one of those good buggers," Andy said.

Guy had four siblings and his parents were still living in the UK. He immigrated to Christchurch in 2005 which was where younger brother Andy was living before later moving to Nelson.

"He phoned up one day and said what's it like out there. I said it's really really good, you should come out. He said alright then and that was it."

Andy said Guy took part in a number of bike races and he had watched him race in Ruapuna just two weeks earlier. He was grateful he had not made it to Greymouth.

"It was all bikes, bikes, bikes. Racing bikes and push bikes."

Guy's parrot Reggie, who he fondly nicknamed a little bastard, went everywhere with him and was sitting in a cage by his trailer when the accident happened.

His colleague and flatmate Dean Morris wasn't at the race, but collected Reggie later that day and had been told the parrot squawked and flapped when the bike crashed.

Morris said Reggie was "still a bit strange".

He's been walking up the front windows in the house tapping the glass which he's never done before.

Guy had owned Reggie for six years and prior to that had owned bunny rabbits with his ex-partner.

He ran the bitumen plant at Fulton Hogan and Morris said everyone was feeling his death as he had been popular with the workers.

Guy rode his pushbike to work with Reggie on his shoulder and in the past few years had lost 20kg due to exercise.

Plains Motorcycle Club president Greg Johns said bikes were his biggest passion and he was an active member in the club owning several bikes including an original 1982 Honda CBX.

He had also been working towards his dream of competing in the TT street races in the Isle of Man.

The funeral plans are still to be confirmed.