A man dragged from the garage of his Tokoroa property after his house caught fire has died.

Northern fire communications shift manager Scott Osmond says the man's death is not being treated as suspicious.

Mr Osmond says firefighters discovered the man in the garage - which was not on fire - while they were battling the Carrington St fire and dragged him outside before giving him CPR.

However, their attempts failed and the man died.


Mr Osmond says the 10.46am fire was put out about 11.30am.

A witness earlier told the Herald he watched as firefighters pulled the person from the garage.

The witness, who lives down the street, says there were also large gas bottles in the property, with at least one exploding.

Crews from Putaruru and Tirau are also helping bring the fire under control.